Monday, 3 December 2007

Vista Coffin getting Nailed Shut

I use Microsoft products at home and at work almost exclusively. Hey, its my job. And if you know what you're doing (read, are not an idiot), MS products run just as well as Mac, Linux etc.

That being said, MS Vista is a dog with fleas. A mangy homeless mutt desperately seeking attention. If you let those mournful eyes pleading for your sympathy suck you in, you realize how much it smells and you seek desperately to escape it.

Yet more confirmation of Vista's suckiness is reported:

"Wellington, Fla.-based Devil Mountain Software ran several versions of XP and Vista through a test simulating common desktop computing tasks. It found the original Vista performed 50 percent to 100 percent slower than the prevalent XP Service Pack 2, or SP2.

Vista SP1, due out in the first quarter of 2008, barely improved the operating system's performance.

But XP SP3, scheduled for the first half of 2008, did improve on XP's earlier performance, running 10 percent faster than SP2."


Any friends or family that have purchased new computers with Vista invariably come to me for help. I help them by tweaking their Vista installs to run more like XP, ie I disable all of the features in Vista that make it unique from XP.

I am an old school computer user, I still prefer to copy files using the DOS Command prompt. For me, it just has to work, work every time and it don't need to be pretty. Windows 2000 and even XP fit that bill well enough for me.

1 comment:

Andre said...

As a favour to that part of the computing world that is forced to use Vista (e.g., if your computer came with it pre-installed), perhaps you could share what you do to make it run more efficiently.