Thursday, 3 January 2008

Time to ditch the Internet?

Malware Evolving Too Fast for Antivirus Apps we are told in this article at PC World.

Honestly, between spyware, viruses, malware, phishing threats, etc. etc. etc. it just might be better to abandon the Internet. For a home user with basic computer knowledge, you may find this article a little daunting. When you're tasked with keeping a few thousand devices scattered across North America secure and usable, it scares the crap out of me. The way I read it, one day probably soon, my network is gonna go down, and its gonna go down hard. And I won't be able to fix it.

Fuck.

On a related note, ran into this neat little utility at Lifehacker. Its a beta release of a utility that will scan the software on your Windows computer and notify you which packages are known to be vulnerable and how to fix them. It has a "easy to patch" option which is enabled by default. Turn that off, and it shows you the applications that are considered hard to patch, yet still vulnerable. When I switched to advanced mode, it told me every single Office 2003 application I have is vulnerable, and hard to patch. I went back to simple mode.

If you're on Windows, check it out. It just might save your computer when "The Viruses Attack!"

No comments: