Friday, 1 February 2008

Now that's funny!

Well maybe only if you've ever coded on Unix or Linux.



I had a UNIX instructor in college that insisted we learn how to use VI as our text editor. I never could get the hang of it. Whenever possible I would use PICO (which NANO replaced. It works the same as PICO did), which a normal human could use. What's the difference? Well lets compare:

Using NANO is like using a gas mower to cut your lawn.
Using VI is like using a pair of shears that you still have to assemble yourself. Granted, if you are really really patient, you can cut each blade of grass to the perfect length at the perfect angle ensuring a perfectly cut lawn with no stress to the grass.

In the end the lawn gets cut, but using the gas mower allows me to finish in an hour and sit on the deck afterward having a beer. Using the shears would be back-breaking, frustrating and would take forever.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I will never, EVER use VI!

3 comments:

Raphael Alexander said...

I used to program in VI in a previous life. It was so complicated to use that it was great for job security.

Catelli said...

Amen!

Often I would cheat and ftp my files back and forth so that I could edit in Notepad.

Raphael Alexander said...

I used FTP until I found SSH. Again, a lifetime ago. Back then it was cutting edge technology.