Wednesday, 13 February 2008

Snow as a metaphor

Could be I'm looking for meaning where there is none, but the recent heavy snows here in Ontario have made me reflect a bit. As I posted waaayyy back in October, things in our house are breaking faster than our ability to pay to fix or replace them.

I wrote back then: And now, our fridge, dryer, dishwasher, television, DVD player, and stereo are all acting flaky. All are dying a slow death of inconsistent performance. Our car, the fuel efficient one, is now burning oil. Don't know how much longer its going to last. It just makes you want to scream.

Fridge is still chugging along, washer and dryer have been repaired. DVD player and TV were replaced, as was the dishwasher. Stereo works, when you give it 20 minutes to warm up....

Car is still burning oil, but its due for its government mandated breathalyzer next month. Somehow I doubt it will pass.

And in December we learned our basement is leaking through 3 of 4 walls. Two of the leaks were previously patched by the builder, but they ain't holding. One of them is even leaking water from above grade. When the snow piles up against the side of the house, it slowly melts from the heat of the home. That water goes right through the crack. The third crack is brand new, and leaks water faster than a leaking tap. We're estimating $10-$15 grand to fix the basement so it no longer leaks.

I've been recently half-joking that I want to burn the house down with everything in it and start from scratch.

So what does this all have to do with snow?

Well, I was outside shoveling the driveway after the kids went to bed. Neighbours pull up and the woman of the house says, "You must love shoveling snow, you're out here all the time!" Her husband cracks, "Naw, he don't like it, he's just anal about his driveway being clean!"

I laugh and reply, "Actually, its both!"

She looks at me quizzically, "Really?"

"Let me put it this way. I don't know how to fix appliances or rebuild the engine in my car. I can't fix the leaks in my basement, but I do know how to shovel snow. Its the one problem I know how to solve."

She nods, and smiles wryly. "I'll leave you to it" she shares as she drives away.

Like winter, I know the storm of everything breaking will eventually go away. It might feel like its lasting forever, but if we keep chipping away at it, we'll pull through.

Until then, I'll shovel the snow with a smile and wait patiently for spring.

4 comments:

Raphael Alexander said...

There's always Vancouver, my friend, there's always Vancouver. Then you'll be forced to learn how to be a handyman.

Catelli said...

It's not a matter of learning, its a matter of genetics. I KNOW I'm a Tim Taylor when it comes to tools.

But yeah, It could be worse, my roof could be leaking and threatening to cave in.

Ken Breadner said...

Sure it could be worse. It could also be a whole hell of a lot better.
Another case of you and I inhabiting the same mindspace--although thank God not the same actual space. My house seems to be still standing. For now.

Catelli said...

Ken, sometimes I swear you're an alternate me from another universe. Reading your blog is like reading my own.

And yeah, its probably a good thing we don't share the same physical space. I think we'd have some sort of weird space-time continuum implosion.