Thursday, 6 March 2008

As a Nanny Stater

even I am confused about this.

The Ontario judge I'm with. If we have to tell people to put on helmets while riding motorcycles, there are no exceptions.

Its this part that makes me shake my head.

The ruling is contrary to other rulings on the same issue in B.C., Manitoba, the United Kingdom, Hong Kong and India. Exemptions were made in those jurisdictions for Sikh motorcyclists, allowing devout Sikhs to wear turbans instead of helmets.

So if you are devoutly (stupid) following the rules of your religion, then you don't have to wear a helmet? Riiiggghhhhtttt..... See here's my problem. Either the state needs to hold the hands of dumb citizens or it doesn't. Many people believe as an article of faith that the government should not be mandating helmet laws. Shouldn't they have an exemption too?

Sometimes we look for shades of grey where none need exist.

2 comments:

Raphael Alexander said...

My religion teaches that I shouldn't pay taxes. How do you think that would fly?

Catelli said...

Like the proverbial lead balloon.

My religion teaches we should only have to work 3 days a week. I haven't had any luck with that either.