Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Question for all 6 of my readers

Do you think I should join "The Blogging Alliance of Non-Partisan Canadians?".

I'm of two minds about this. I was previously on LibLogs, but I found my membership was influencing my mind set as I blogged.

Since starting fresh as Catelli, I've avoided joining blog rolls. Partly I wanted to see how much of a readership I'd gain/keep as a complete independent. I am of the opinion that my current readership is low due to the quality of my opinions and writing. I.e. my stats keep me honest (yes I check them), and prevent me from a hubris mentality about the influence of my blogging. However, I do show people come back.

On the other hand, it could be that my readership is low, simply because my target audience can't find me if I'm not on a blog roll somewhere. Personally, I lend more credence to the former than the latter. And no, I'm not bothered by that. I'm more comfortable with myself now as independent Catelli than Liblogger Closet Liberal. Though I have enough of an ego that I wish more people were reading and commenting (and yes challenging) my opinions.

So Dearest Reader? What think you? Would adding myself to this particular blog roll add value? Would the (supposed) added readership give me the debates I crave? Or I do I risk debasing what value my commentary has in trying to expand that readership?

Yeah, I know, I'm probably the only person that can answer this question, but I still would appreciate your thoughts.

5 comments:

Raphael Alexander said...

What I like about your blog is that you seem very much like myself. A normal, calm, and relatively stable individual who is baffled by the idiocy he sees every day in our media, political sphere, and pop culture.

Part and parcel of human networking is whoring yourself out. Blogging is no different. You can be the greatest guy in the world with charisma up the ying-yang, but if you sit at home every Friday and don't ever invite people to go out for a drink, nobody will think, "Hm, I wonder if Catelli wants to quaff a few brews?" Because the fact is that humans require a social network that is constantly interactive.

Look at that farce facebook for example. You can network and people will respond and invite you to stupid apps and email you and comment on your photos.

But try not saying anything for a month. Your response there will flatline. That includes your "friend" mom.

So you have to do some selling, and that means joining aggregates, getting heard, getting noticed, making link trades, and actively seeking feedback on your blog.

I may not agree with some of the things about the Blogging Tories or the members therein, but let's face it: they're my bread and butter. Look at my "top referrers" list. BTs are 53%, followed by google searches that go awry 21%. Only 9% directly click to me, and that would be 315 people on average per week. 315 people. Versus 1,700 through the BT network.

Aggregates don't mean you have to conform to their code. But they provide an outlet to likewise mindsets that will help build the readership. If I left the BT's I'd have maybe 300 regular dedicated readers a week, and even that might dwindle if I didn't get the official conservative stamp of approval that comes with the BT link.

Perhaps journalists and paid bloggers don't need to care about it, but you or I, we need to find our own forms of syndication. Or else we could each be Shakespeares in the wind, and nobody would care.

ADHR said...

Raphael's right. If you want people to read your stuff, you have to make it easy for them to find your stuff. You can either buy exposure (banner ads, sponsored links on Google, etc.), or you can take advantage of free opportunities that have an audience already built in.

Ken Breadner said...

Joining or not joining a roll depends on why you blog. I have very few readers and honestly don't mind that, because I'm primarily writing to (a) vent and (b) work through things. Being read's just a bonus...it's not why I write. At least half my stuff is personal, and unless you know me, who cares? (Even if you do know me, who cares, sometimes!)
You're a titch more political than I am and your blog would certainly fit right in on that blogroll.
Your call, man.

Saskboy said...

If you want more readers and potential commenters, it's always good to be on more blog rolls. If you make them mad and they boot you, it just becomes another issue you can blog about to pick up more readers who can subscribe to your feed.

Catelli said...

Well 3.5 votes out of 4 in favour.

I have applied to join the BANPC

Thanks for your comments. They were very much appreciated!

See you around,

Catelli