Monday, 6 October 2008

Betrayed ideologies?

Is it just me, or are there a lot of liberals that no longer support the Liberal party and conservatives that don't support the Conservative party?

My former Blogging identify was Closet Liberal. I chose that identity to illustrated that the latter half of the Chretien era had made me reconsider my Liberal party support. When I started blogging, I was a liberal looking for a Liberal party to pull me back out of the closet.

Well Martin was a utter failure of a leader, which surprised the hell out of me. Dion's inability to stand by any principles during the last parliament showed his lack of leadership. Its so bad that I abandoned the closet altogether and gave up hope on the Liberal party. Period.

Rumours have it there are many liberals like myself. But recently I started seeing the same cracks on the Conservative front. On the weekend I had a startling revelation. My father is considering voting Liberal for the first time in my lifetime. As a card carrying conservative, he has been angered beyond redemption by Stephen Harper. What pushed him over the edge was the recent flap over "ordinary Canadians" and "cultural elites." His sentiment was exactly the same as my own. (And no, he does not read my blog).

And today I read that Noni Mausa had the same experience. I wonder how many others there are out there?

Its really too bad that Stephane Dion showed that he was a coward and afraid of his stated principles during the last parliament. Otherwise he would probably have had a real shot at forming the government this time.

2 comments:

Ken Breadner said...

Count me as a disaffected Tory. I didn't mind Harper at first, but...you know how people grow on you? He shrank on me.

Catelli said...

Or he grew on you like an ingeown nail. It was subtle at first, and then one day BAM! Excrutiating pain.