Wednesday, 22 April 2009

Sometime I just HATE my job.

Imagine you were just offered an all expenses paid trip for a user conference in Vegas. This conference is for something you use every day, are responsible for keeping running, and is one of the most critical components of the company infrastructure. So its not just a fluff out of the office golf and drink getaway. (Though there is that potential too.)

Imagine that almost every other employee in the department has been on one of these on COMPANY expense (this one won't cost the company anything). So this is not in any way a violation of company policy.

Now imagine that your boss tells you that you still can't go because you're too valuable, and they can't afford to have you out of the office that long.

This just happened to me.

IF I'M THAT FUCKING IMPORTANT THAT I CAN'T BE OUT OF THE OFFICE FOR 3 DAYS I SHOULD BE MAKING MORE THAN EVERY OTHER GOD DAMNED EMPLOYEE. THEY GET TO GO TO THESE THINGS, SO BY THAT LOGIC THEY AREN"T ESSENTIAL TO OPERATIONS.

7 comments:

ADHR said...

Maybe you should argue that you're really not all that important?

Catelli said...

I tried that. I pointed out that we do have another guy with my skills in the department now.

He's only been with us 6 months, and he got sent to a 1 week conference in Nashville last month. And it was for a product he doesn't even use.

I've been with the company 11 years now (damn I'm getting old) and I have yet to go to one.

ADHR said...

Hm. Could you angle your indisposibility towards a good solid raise instead? I know you raised (hah!) the issue in your original post, but it would seem to be a clear point in your favour. "If I'm so great, shouldn't I be getting paid more? If I shouldn't, then how can I be so great?"

Honestly, it seems like there's something personal involved here. They don't want specifically you to go, for some reason or another.

Catelli said...

I can't go into too many details, but its not a personal thing in the negative sense.

I've got a reputation as the only credible problem solver. If there's a major issue, they find me. Because I fix it.

They get shit scared that something will go wrong when I'm not around.

We call it the curse of competency.

Catelli said...

And no I am not poorly paid. I'm very well paid in comparison with my peers in other firms. Also within the department where I work. My raises have always been amongst the highest given year over year.
So why was I bitching?

I'm at the stage where its just a job. I'm losing my motivation because I'm not excited or thrilled anymore. Going to a tech conference is one of those things that rejuvenates the geek in me. The inner nerd that likes the potential of technology and what it can do.

So this outcome is morale sapping. I'm frustrated because I'm trapped in a well paying job that doesn't satisfy my personal needs. And yeah, I'm fully cognizant of the fact that right now I'm lucky to have a stable guaranteed job. So I slog on as the dutiful little employee that I am.

But I've been bleached of all the fun, joy and excitement I once possessed.

ADHR said...

No one's "lucky" to have a job. But that's a whole 'nother issue. ;)

Look, if you're so important -- the only credible problems solver -- then they need to do what they need to do to keep you happy, right? If you're not happy not being able to go to the conference, I don't see why you shouldn't make that clear. Make it clear that you can be in contact immediately if there's anything catastrophic that goes wrong.

Catelli said...

Thanks for the support!

It was a limited time offer, the free pass has been since given to some other dude at some other company.