Friday, 21 August 2009

Fiber to the home news

By the middle of 2010, 70,000 homes in Fredericton and Saint John New Brunswick will have the fastest broadband connections in the country thanks to fibre to the home (FTTH) technology.

A few years ago, we vacationed in Bay of Fundy National Park. I enjoyed New Brunswick so much, I tried to convince my wife to move there.

Now I have another reason....

The news online is inconsistent as to the public investment portion of the project. The link above says New Brunswick is contributing $1 million. This story says $13 million. Big difference.

Assuming 70,000 homes, that's a cost of between $871 - $1042 per home. Which means Fiber installation costs may have crossed the cost effective threshold. Please note I'm pulling numbers from a variety of sources, and there are many unknowns I cannot account for. But the numbers are looking good!

No comments: