Wednesday, 2 September 2009

So How's The Leg?

Thank you for asking! Its doing quite well actually. (Background here)

As of tomorrow it will be 7 weeks since I decided to test the limits of this rapidly aging body.

On August 19th the last cast was removed. I was provided with an "air cast" to protect my heel while moving around. I only wore it for two days. Damned thing made my foot swell so large it looked seriously malformed.

Technically speaking I'm not supposed to put any weight on my leg until my next appointment in two weeks. Well, what do Doctors know right? ;)

Actually what happened was the Friday after the cast was removed, I was in the shower. A shad-fly that was resting somewhere in the shower skittered over me and startled the crap out of me. I lost my balance and stamped quite hard on my injured leg. "Oh shit!" doesn't even start to cover my initial panic.

But there was no pain. None at all. So I started testing my leg more and more. I started walking with a Frankenstein shuffle. Since then I have gradually progressed and now only have a pronounced limp. But more importantly, I can drive! Freedom! Sweet freedom, its back! Too bad for the shad-fly, it got washed down the drain. But I really do owe it my thanks.

I fully hope to walk into my next appointment with next to no limp at all. If I'm going to freak out the doctor, might was well do it big time eh?

Things are going so well, that we've booked next week off and are going camping after all! Woo Hoo! This has turned into a bigger silver lining than I expected. The two weeks that we were going to take would have been so cold and wet that we would have been miserable the whole time. Now, we get to go for a week that is looking pretty good so far. Apparently September is the new August.

So what have I learned from this experience? Two things. One, don't play through the pain. Its telling you something important. Mainly stop whatever it is that's causing the pain! Two, I would be the world's grouchiest man if ever confined to a wheel chair. Oh lordy I missed being mobile!

1 comment:

Ken Breadner said...

Congrats, Catelli, glad to see you back among the living...