Thursday, 22 October 2009

Simple Tune for Children, and Some Shameless Self-Promotion Over Something Trivial

About 3 years ago, my wife was taking my eldest son (who was 2 at the time) to Kindermusik, a parent child activity session organized around music.

After one session, they had a take home assignment. The parent was to write a song about a body part on their child, and set it to a tune from a Christmas Carol.

My wife was less than enthusiastic. Me, I jumped all over the assignment like a Conservative MP taking credit for a stimulus cheque. After an hour of furious writing, I came up with a tune and handed it to my wife to take with her next week. Like a proud puppy waiting for approval for peeing outside, I awaited the class reaction to my efforts.

Next week, they didn't sing the songs, they didn't share them at all. Yeah, I was slightly miffed. Upside is, my boys like the song very much, they request it all the time. So now I share it with all of you. If you have young children or grand children, maybe they'll like it too. Bask in the glory of my musical talent!

To the tune of Jingle Bells (substitute the child's name where appropriate:

Jacob's toes touch his nose,
when he smells his feet.
Tries to put them in his mouth,
hopes they're good to eat. Oh!
Jacob's toes touch his nose,
when he smells his feet.
Now he knows, that his toes
are not a tasty treat!

Jacob loves his toes,
thinks they're really swell.
Holds them to his nose,
Phew! They really smell!
Mom puts on some socks,
keeps them snug and tight.
Now his feet really rock,
and they smell just right.

Jacob's toes touch his nose,
when he smells his feet.
Tries to put them in his mouth,
hopes they're good to eat. Oh!
Jacob's toes touch his nose,
when he smells his feet.
Now he knows, that his toes
are not a tasty treat!

OK fine, I'll keep my day job.

1 comment:

Ken Breadner said...

Hey! It's better than the original!