Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Shovel The Road

I am a lazy man. That does not make me unique.

What probably makes me unique, is that I want to be effective at being lazy. When I slack off, I don't want any outstanding chores to interrupt my torpidity. When my backside hits the couch, other than the requisite bathroom breaks, it stays there.

This winter so far has been wonderful for the lazy. I haven't had to really shovel the driveway until yesterday. But when I do shovel, I'm a perfectionist. I hate doing the same job more than once. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it as proper and as efficiently as possible, so that my butt can resume its natural state on the couch.

So that means I shovel right to the edges. I use a steel shovel to scrape up anything that's stuck to the driveway so that I don't have to deal with ice build-up a few days later. Do it when its easy to get rid of, is my motto.

I also shovel the road.

*pause for effect*

Yep, I make my lazy ass shovel my side of the road in front of our house. Here's why.

Right after a snowfall, the snow is light, fluffy and pushable. I go into the road and push from the middle of the road to the curb and deposit the snow along the boulevard. Since its so light, it takes only minutes to do. Do it when its easy.

The benefits are twofold. When the plough comes by, very little snow winds up back in the bottom of my driveway. Also, when the salter/plough combo passes they tend to make the snow heavier. When I arrived home last night, I shovelled the 3-4 inches of snow out of the driveway and off the road while it was light and movable. Overnight the city ploughs came by. This morning, I had 6 shovelfuls of snow to remove from my double wide driveway. Forty seconds and I was done. Didn't even break a sweat.

The other benefit appears over a longer period. Since the snow is deposited along the length of the boulevard, I don't wind up with huge piles of snow right beside the driveway. I.e., the hills I have to throw snow over after subsequent snowfalls are much smaller than everyone else's.

This means I get back to the couch faster than my neighbours, and resume a guilt free laziness.

Which is the best kind of lazy there is.

2 comments:

Ken Breadner said...

I do this too! The way I look at it, you *have* to. That plow-slush is just brutal.

Catelli said...

Somehow that didn't surprise me. You were in the back of my mind as I wrote this, wondering "Does Ken do this too?"