Thursday, 29 April 2010

Terry Child Forgot Something Very Important


Like Terry, I have been at my job for a long time (12 years!). The network and systems in place here are a reflection of me. I take great pride in the system I have built over the years. It is most definitively "stamped" with my signature style and is a reflection of my personal and professional skills and philosophies. Like any artist or engineer, I see this construction as "mine".

But mine, it is not in any tangible sense of ownership. This system I have put in place is owned by my employer, lock-stock and barrel. I can no more deny them access to it than I could deny them access to my office. The usernames and passwords I create do belong to the company, and they can request them at any time.

And from a practical matter, I wouldn't have it any other way. If I get hit by the proverbial bus, and have not taken steps to ensure my admin access can be used by someone else, I have been criminally negligent. Admin access is the master key, if you lose that, then for many systems you are 100% screwed. Hell, you may not be able to restore data from backups, depending on the system involved.

Never put yourself in that situation that your knowledge is key to an organization's continued existence. Fuck it up, and a lot of people can wind up out of work.

And it will be your fault.

No comments: