Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Internet Meme - True Story

Back in 1989 I was an indifferent High School student taking Grade 12 Chemistry. On the Chemistry final (that I was well on my way to failing) we had the question "Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic?" My answer, I swear, was nearly identical to the one listed here at Snopes.com

Imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail from my sister around 1996/1997 forwarding the claim that this answer was given in a Chemistry University course in Texas (or some other state). I was amazed and floored. I had always wanted to find out if my teacher had shared my answer and thus an Internet meme was born. I was never able to confirm that; and chances are the meme was sourced from the parody listed in the Snopes article.

But part of me will always wonder if it was my answer was the one that triggered that meme...

For the record, I have no idea what I scored on that exam, and I only passed Chemistry with a score of 50%. And it is my opinion that was a sympathy mark from my teacher so I could get my credit. BUT. It is not FALSE that a student wrote that cheeky answer on an exam final. I did it. Cross my fingers, hope to die, I wrote that answer.

Oh, and Mr. Ferguson? Thanks for the 50%. I did not earn it.


2 comments:

Ken Breadner said...

I believe you. And I also believe that the creativity inherent in that answer merits much better than a bare pass. But then, I was, as you know, an English major.

Catelli said...

Thanks! ;)