Remember: There's a fine line between being a leader and making people dependent on you. You must teach the core principals of self-reliance and independent thinking. Follow these steps with that thought foremost in your mind.
Weather Event Coles Notes - For Mayor's Eyes Only
- If forecasts call for a major event (E.g. an ice storm) several days in advance, do not formulate an emergency response plan. Do not update the populace as providing them information may cause a panic. People in a panic will run out and empty store shelves as they build up supplies. It is absolutely critical that you have first crack at liquor, beer and drug-house merchandise. If anything, take this opportunity to build up your own emergency supply. (In the hours leading up to the event, take the opportunity to get absolutely blotto. You will not have much time once the event hits. Enjoy yourself while you can.)
- Do not prepare any city resources in advance. This encourages laziness in your staff. A sharp crew has to think on their feet.
- Lead by example, take care of your own family first. And second and third and fourth. Then deal with the city.
- If a widespread power outage occurs, move your family into an expensive hotel. A man of the people cannot be seen to be taking $85 a night rooms away from his fellow citizens. Take the expensive option, the poor will thank you. The rich will be inspired by your selfless example.
- Contradict and disagree with city staff. Appearance of effective government teaches dependance.
- During press conferences, do not know the answers. Guess. Teach people to rely on themselves and investigate the solutions themselves. For cripes sakes, they have the Internet and the city pays for libraries. Don't make them rely on you.
- Always be late for press conferences. A busy leader has a hectic schedule. Do not appear to be readily available, especially to the press. They're not doing anything to help, so feel free to waste their time.
- Note for male mayors: Do not pose with women. Doing so may remind people that you are staying home, while women are out saving the city. This is bad for your image.