Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Slate. Missing the Point

Yesterday a video of woman experiencing street harassment went viral. When I watched it all I saw were men treating a woman like an object. An object they desired and existed for their own pleasure.

And I was disgusted. I had heard about street harassment, but never witnessed it. To say this video opened my eyes is like saying a kick to the nuts is painful. And based on the viral nature of that video, I wasn't the only one.

So what's the reaction Slate went with? The video is racist.

I read it and my bullshit meter redlined.

"But if the point of this video is to teach men about the day-to-day reality of women, then this video doesn’t hit its target. The men who are sitting in their offices or in cafes watching this video will instead be able to comfortably assure themselves that they don’t have time to sit on hydrants in the middle of the day and can’t properly pronounce “mami.”"

I am a white, country-bred, redneck male. And this video reached me. I got it. While sitting in my office.

If a guy is ignoring the point of this video because of race, that guy has TWO problems. If a guy is ignoring the point of this video because he's older, that's just young kids today, that guy has TWO problems. If a guy is ignoring the point of this video because it's an American Big City and he's Canadian small-town, that guy has TWO problems. If a guy is ignoring the point of this video because.... Well you get my point.

The point of the video is Street harrassment is real. It's wrong. And it needs to stop.

And if you find yourself saying "But.." stop right there. YOU have a problem. And you need to deal with that.

No comments: