Sunday, 22 March 2015

It's Not the Cold That Gets You

It's the wind!

March 22,2015. Minus two degrees Celsius and sunny. Feeling pent up and decided to take the dog for a walk. Head out the front door, and it's not too bad. But when I turned the corner and started heading north...

Holy fuck, why does it feel like a Frost Giant is flaying my face with an ice whip? Within steps the bridge of my nose froze and my eyes started watering like I witnessed the death of Gandalf all over again, "Fly! You fool!" West and North, the wind rips and tears at me, turning an outing into a chore. I want nothing more then to turn around (heed Gandalf's advice) and hide in my home until July.

And it's impossible to avoid. One cannot go for a walk, and hope to return home, without facing North or West at some point. You can't walk in a circle only going South and East. And while this past winter has driven this point home stronger than most, this has been a worsening trend we have noticed for the last decade or so.

The wind. Remember calm days and gentle breezes? I think I do. But I'm not so sure any more. 29 days out of 30, there is wind to contend with and plan for. And no we can't get a gentle warm breeze. I think I know where the Arctic Ice Sheet is disappearing to. The North Wind is carrying it south to torture us with. "So it looks sunny and warm out eh? Here's some ice to the face to make you cower and hide from my wrath!"

So am I imagining things? Off to Google I go. Oh what's this?

"The projected results clearly show that Canada could possibly receive more wind gust events late this century than has been historically experienced."
Possible Impacts of Climate Change on Wind Gusts under Downscaled Future Climate Conditions: Updated for Canada. Journal of Climate, Volume 27, Issue 3 (February 2014)

You know what? Time to say "Fuck it" and just build a bunker to live out the rest of my life in. I might know a guy to help me too.

1 comment:

Ken Breadner said...

I had that reaction last night. Set out to walk around the block--I'm trying to flip to a night owl's schedule again--and my face froze. I took a shortcut home. It woke me up, anyway, which was the intention.
I could use some summer right along about now.