And Sid Ryan has to go. Honestly, what the hell?
The Ontario arm of the Canadian Union of Public Employees announced yesterday it would propose, in a meeting next month, "a ban on Israeli academics doing speaking, teaching or research work at Ontario universities," if they do not explicitly condemn Israeli action in Gaza.
If this isn't an overtly racist policy, its damn close.
Suppressing Israeli academics for the action of the Israeli government is without any logic whatsoever. It associates individuals with an action based entirely on nationality. Imagine being denied a job in another country because the Canadian government abandoned the Kyoto protocol.
This boycott is based on many false or unprovable assumptions:
1) That the academics have influence over the Israeli government.
2) That the academics endorse the position of the Israeli government by not speaking out.
3) That the actions of the Israeli government are wrong. (I have an opinion, a belief about this, but it is not FACT.)
4) That paying CUPE members universally endorse this position.
5) And most importantly, that CUPE (a labour negotiation organization) has the authority, the right to interfere in international affairs and to dictate the actions of unaffiliated individuals. It is this last item that dictates that Sid Ryan must resign. CUPE is overreaching its mandate, is embarrassing its membership and Canadians, and is acting in a bigoted if not racist manner.